Goodwood Festival of Speed (West Sussex)
- Event Information
The Goodwood Festival of Speed is located in the beautiful parkland surrounding Goodwood House, near Chichester in West Sussex.
The Festival of Speed is motorsport’s weekend summer garden party, more than just the famous hill climb this is a celebration of world motorsport.Date:4th July 2019-7th July 2019
- How to register
Tickets need to be purchased from the website in advance and have a variety of options; £39 for admission only, £63 admission and grandstand, £199 the startline club.
- What do others think ...
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Chichester in West Sussex is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- 4th July 2019-7th July 2019The Goodwood Festival of Speed is located in the beautiful parkland surrounding Goodwood House, near Chichester in West Sussex. The Festival of Speed is motorsport’s weekend summer garden party, more than just the famous hill climb this is a celebration of world motorsport.
- Goodwood House is the seat of the Dukes of Richmond. Over the years many architects have contributed to the design of the house, including James Wyatt. It was the intention to build the house to a unique octagonal layout, but only three of the eight sides were built. Some of the older parts of the house also survive, although some sections were demolished in the mid 20th century. The house has neo-classical interiors and is open to the public on a limited number of days per year. It is also available to hire for weddings and corporate events. The surrounding Goodwood Estate is a major sport and leisure venue featuring Goodwood Racecourse, home of the Glorious Goodwood flatracing festival, which is one of the highlights of the English social season; Chichester/Goodwood Airport and Goodwood Circuit; and the Goodwood Park Hotel, Golf and Country Club. The immediate grounds of the house also play host to the annual Goodwood Festival of Speed, which has rapidly become a major event in the diary of all fans, participants and companies associated with motor racing. The Rolls-Royce Motor Cars manufacturing plant and global headquarters is located on the south end of Goodwood Estate.
- Tangmere Military Aviation Museum was established on the old RAF Tangmere airfield. From its beginnings in 1916, through its illustrious service as one of Britain’s front line fighter bases during WW2 and on to its key role as home to the world speed record breaking aircraft of the High Speed Flight in the post war years it has occupied a unique place in aviation history. The museum contains priceless historic aircraft such as Neville Duke’s world record breaking Hawker Hunter, actual equipment used by the brave SOE agents who were carried into occupied France on ‘black Lysander’ flights from Tangmere, flight simulators where you can try your hand at flying, a full sized replica of the very first Spitfire prototype and more.
- Chichester Guildhall was built in 1269 as the church for the Greyfriars. After the Dissolution of the monasteries the church became the Town Hall. It is a Grade 1 listed building and an Ancient Scheduled Monument. It was also used as a court room. Now part of the Chichester District Museum service and sits within Priory park.
- According to the inscription upon the Chichester Market Cross, it was built by Edward Story, the bishop of Chichester from 1477 to 1503. Built so that the poor people should have somewhere to sell their goods. An earlier wooden cross had been erected on the same site by Bishop Rede (1369-1385). The Market Cross is constructed of Caen stone, is octangular, having a strong butment at each angle, surmounted with pinnacles. On each of its faces is an entrance through a pointed arch, ornamented with crockets and a finial. Above this, on four of its sides, is a tablet, to commemorate its reparation in the reign of Charles II. Above each tablet is a dial, exhibiting the hour to each of the three principal streets; the fourth being excluded from this advantage by standing at an angle. In the centre is a large circular column, the basement of which forms a seat: into this column is inserted a number of groinings, which, spreading from the centre, form the roof beautifully moulded. The central column appears to continue through the roof, and is supported without by eight flying buttresses, which rest on the several corners of the building.
- Chichester Cathedral has fine architecture in both the Norman and the Gothic styles. Chichester Cathedral has two architectural features that are unique among England’s medieval cathedrals; a free-standing medieval bell tower (or campanile) and double aisles. The cathedral contains two rare medieval sculptures, and many modern art works including tapestries, stained glass and sculpture, many of these commissioned by Dean Hussey. The spire of Chichester Cathedral, rising above its green copper roof, can be seen for many miles across the flat meadows of West Sussex and is a landmark for sailors, Chichester being one of only two English cathedrals that is visible from the sea, the other being its near neighbour, Portsmouth Cathedral.
- Weald and Downland Open Air Museum has six (13th – 19th) centuries of rural hertitage set in roling countryside. Explore the museums village, working watermill and collection of rescued buildings then have a break in the cafe or a lakeside picnic.
- West Dean House, a large mansion built of flint which houses West Dean College, an arts and crafts school. The house, built by the Peachey family in 1804, was later bought by the James family and was the home of Edward James, who donated it to a charitable trust in 1964. The gardens around the house are open to the public and have well preserved Victorian walled gardens and glasshouses.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map