Find the nearest Animals & Wildlife
Our Animals and Wildlife category brings all Coast Radar’s listings related to looking for something to do or a place to visit together where they offer some form of animal or wildlife activity.
Finding the best things to see and do on a day out with your family or friends is easy – simply explore the animal and wildlife links below, hit the jump to my location button or use the search bar to plan your next UK and Ireland activity.
- Northumberland Wildlife Trust nature reserves. This seven mile bay stretches from Amble to Cresswell. Opencast mining in much of this previously flat and and almost featureless landscape has allowed the creation of many wetland areas and lakes which are a magnet for wild life. This area has a number of reserves: Hauxley Nature Reserve, Druridge Pools, Cresswell Pond and the 100 acre reedbed and deep water pools, purpose designed at East Chevington.
- Steart Marshes is the first of WWT’s Working Wetlands and is open all year round. The reserve shows how wetlands are productive and useful as well as being a natural coastal buffer. The saltmarsh is farmed for specialist saltmarsh lamb and beef, its creeks are a nursery for the fry of important fish stocks. Facilities include hides, toilets, refreshments, car parking and paths for walkers, mobility scooters, wheelchair users, pushchairs, cyclists and horse riders, subject to a few local restrictions. Dogs are welcome on most paths but must be kept under close control to prevent disturbance to wildlife. (Feature photo by Alastair Campbell)
- Noup Cliffs sit over 76 metres above the sea on the north-west coast of Westray in the Orkney islands. This is home to Orkney’s largest seabird colony with guillemots, kittiwakes, razorbills and a chance of puffins. A great place to walk along the cliff path with spectacular coastal scenery, wildflowers and of course the birds.
- The St Cyrus National Nature Reserve (NNR) sits amongst grassland, dunes and cliffs just above St Cyrus beach. The Reserve comprises of 92 hectares (230 acres) of coastal habitat in the northern part of Montrose Bay. The grasslands are protected from the weather by the inland cliffs and sand dunes and this provides a unique landscape and habitat for wildflowers, breeding birds and butterflies. Take a walk down to the sandy beach and you may get a glimpse of dolphins, whales and seals or spot some of the salmon nets. The visitor centre is located in the old lifeboat station, with information on the history of the area and what to look out for when exploring.
- The Sanctuary has nursery pools, convalescence, and resident pools, and a specially designed hospital. The hospital includes isolation pools, as well as treatment and preparation areas. In addition to the Grey and Common Seals you have Fur Seals, Patagonian Sea Lions and an Arctic Hooded Seal. The Sanctuary also provides a much-needed haven for a variety of other animals, such as Otters, Sheep, Ponies and Goats. Occasionally the Sanctuary’s facilities and expertise are called upon to aid in the rescue of other marine creatures such as Dolphins and Turtles.
- Langstone is a small village on a road which leads from Havant to Hayling Island. The village High Street is designated as a Conservation Area, while the coastal path leading eastwards from the village is both part of Hampshire County Council’s Solent Way and Wayfarers Walk. Langstone Harbour includes a RSPB reserve that occupies one third of the Harbour – a muddy estuary that attracts large numbers of birds all year round. Terns, gulls and wading birds descend to breed on the islands in spring and summer, while thousands of waders and brent geese migrate from the Arctic to feed and roost in safety here. Langstone Harbour tidal estuary and consists mostly of intertidal mud but includes five small islands composed of salt marsh and shingle ridges.
- A family adventure park with a selection of activities and animals to see. The activities include:Toboggans Giant Balls Tractor Rides Peddle go-karts including mini-go-karts for the younger visitor Water wars Crazy golf Tin can alley Three wheel balanz bikes Toddler ball pools Playzone and more….The animals include:Rabbits Cows Goats Ponies Sheep