Watergate Bay Beach (Cornwall)
Watergate Bay in Newquay has a two mile stretch of sandy beach at low tide. An action packed beach with excellent facilities and beachside restaurants including Jamie Oliver inspired FIFTEEN Cornwall and The Beach Hut.
For surfers, Watergate Bay is a good beach for all experience levels including novices with a mid-high tide sandy beach break (left and rights). SE wind direction generally considered the best surf conditions.
Good kitesurfing location due to the large beach and very good kite surfing learning spot due to the shallow large beach. Note that kitesurfing is not allowed between lifeguard flags during the peak season.
The beach has local shops, car park, cafe, toilets, surf school & hire, toilets and seasonal lifeguard (May – end of September). If you want to head into Newquay this is a good 45 minute to an hour walk.
Watergate Bay Beach is dog friendly and allows dogs all year.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Newquay in Cornwall is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...