Market House (Cornwall)
The old Market House is an imposing building in the main shopping street of Penzance which is now a bank.
The statue outside is of Humphry Davy, the inventor of the Davy Lamp.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Penwith Peninsula in Cornwall is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- 10th May 2019-12th May 2019The festival runs for three days at Porthminster beach in St Ives. Activities include:fantastic demonstrations from nationally renowned celebrity chefs artisan traders with high quality food and drink music performances children’s play area water sports activities
- Penlee House Gallery and Museum is a small museum and art gallery contains many paintings by the ‘Newlyn School’ (c.1880 – c.1940) including Stanhope and Elizabeth Forbes, Walter Langley, Harold Harvey and Laura Knight. Set in an elegant Victorian house and park, Penlee House also covers West Cornwall’s archaeology and social history, and offers a cafe and shop.
- Eastern Green beach is a sandy beach and is also known as “Penzance’s east beach” and is to the north of the harbour. The beach stretches from Penzance harbour to Marazion at low tide. The beach has a gently slope which forces you to walk out some distance to get out of your depth. This makes it a good family beach. On the outskirts of Penzance so you have to walk back into the town for any facilities. We have no dog information for Eastern Green beach.
- Newlyn is best known for being a fishing port and harbour. Green Rocks beach is an easterly facing beach that has more shingle than sand and is largely covered at high tide. Facilities and car park are in Newlyn centre, a few minutes walk from the beach.
- Long Rock is a sand and pebbles beach that has a shallow gradient so a lot of water before it gets deep which makes safe family swimming. The beach sits in the middle of the long stretch of sand within Mount’s Bay. No direct lifeguards but the east end of the beach touches on the Marazion beach that does have summer lifeguards. Parking and other facilities in Long Rock village.
- Tremenheere Sculpture Gardens is a beautiful sheltered valley near Penzance, surrounded by woods, streams and dramatic 22-acre exotic and sub-tropical garden. The gardens provide the perfect backdrop to art, with internationally renowned artists creating permanent works, all harmonising with their garden setting. Facilities include a cafe, design shop, toilets, car parking and well-behaved dogs are welcome on a lead throughout the gardens. Unfortunately, due to the steep nature of the valley, access to the gardens is severely limited for those with physical disabilities and is unsuitable for mobility scooters, wheelchair users and prams.
- Trewidden Garden was originally planted by Thomas Bolitho in the 1850’s. The 15-acre garden incorporates a magnificent collection of over 300 Camellias and Magnolias alongside one of the largest tree fern dells in the Northern Hemisphere and many other attractions. The gardens include a tearoom, plant shop and regular events. Open to the public during the Spring, Summer and beginning of Autumn every year. Dogs are also very welcome to visit the Garden.
- Mousehole is a small fishing village that has a small strip of sand within the harbour and pebble/rocky beaches on either side of the harbour along with a tidal rock swimming pool. This is a typical Cornish fishing village with narrow lanes to explore with hidden shops, galleries and places to eat. Car park although the narrow streets get very busy in the summer.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...