Porthtowan Beach (Cornwall)
Porthtowan beach is a large sandy beach popular with both surfers (good for beginners) and families. The beach is also backed by a small dune area and as the tide goes out you have some rockpools top explore.
At low tide you can take a 15-minute walk along the beach to neighbouring Chapel Porth, alternatively, lots of cliff top walks. This walk takes you below the Towanroath engine house at Wheal Coates which is one of the iconic locations of this tin and copper mining county.
Facilities at the beach include a large car park, shop, wetsuits and board hire, cafe, pub, toilets and lifeguards in summer.
The name “Porthtowan” comes from the Cornish words “porth” meaning port or harbour and ‘tewyn” meaning dune.
Porthtowan Beach is a Blue Flag Beach and has been awarded a regional Seaside Award.
Porthtowan beach does not allow dogs Easter to October.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for St Agnes in Cornwall is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...