Aldingham beach is a shingle and pebble beach at high tide but at low Read more [...]
- About Us
Piel Castle Information
Piel Castle also known as Fouldry Castle, is located on Piel Island, 1 km off the southern tip of the Furness Peninsula, protecting the deep water harbour of Barrow-in-Furness. A well preserved keep and two baileys remain today.
In 1212 a wooden tower was built when the monks of Furness Abbey needed to store provisions there. The abbey engaged in much trade through Piel Harbour and further fortified the site soon after the Scottish invasions of 1316 and 1322. In 1327 Edward III gave Furness Abbey a license to crenellate the tower and a motte and bailey castle was built. The castle was a concentric fortification with a keep and three towers surrounded by a ditch. It was dismantled in 1403 but then partly rebuilt some years later, but was in ruins by the 16th century.
Managed by English Heritage and accessible only via a small boat ferry.
For more information see the Piel Castle website
Piel Castle Reviews