Abbot Hall was built in 1759 by Colonel George Wilson, the second son of Dan Read more [...]
- About Us
Abbot Hall Art Gallery Info
Abbot Hall was built in 1759 by Colonel George Wilson, the second son of Daniel Wilson of Dallam Tower, a large house and country estate nearby. It was built on the site of the old Abbot’s Hall, which formerly stood roughly where the museum is today. Before the dissolution of the monasteries this was where the Abbot or his representative would stay when visiting from the mother church of St Mary’s, York.
In 1962 it opened as an Art Gallery.
The Abbot Hall Coffee House serves a menu of locally produced and freshly prepared sandwiches, soup, quiches and cakes. On sunny days there is seating available outside by the lawn overlooking the River Kent.
Abbot Hall Art Gallery Reviews