Charmouth beach is a sand, at low tide, and shingle beach that stretches for two miles with many rock pools. The beach is split into two either side of the River Char, with the East beach being the main family beach and the West beach is an excellent place for fossil hunting.
To the west of Charmouth is the site of the largest coastal mudslide in Europe, called Black Ven, it was created in the winter of 1958/59.
If you are interested in fossil hunting then the Charmouth Heritage Coast Centre is worth a visit as it has fossil displays, local information and organizes fossil finding walks on Charmouth Beach.
Facilities the beach include parking, toilets, cafe/shop, beach hut hire.
Charmouth beach, Dogs not allowed April to October.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Lyme Regis in Dorset is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...