Lulworth Cove Beach (Dorset)
Lulworth Cove is within the Natural World Heritage Coastline. It has a horse shoe beach which is a mix of sand and pebbles. The cove is surrounded by high cliffs (135m, 440ft) and this area of the coast has some of the most fascinating geology in Europe. The Cove is also probably one of England’s most remarkable natural sites and attracts lots of visitors.
At the West Lulworth Heritage Centre you have a museum about Lulworth and its coast, the history of the village and souvenirs. Lulworth Cove is part of the Lulworth estate, which has been owned by the same family since the mid 1600s.
The Steps at the east end of the beach lead to the Fossil Forest and Mupe Bay with a stunning walk along the cliff top – this footpath is within the MoD restricted area and is only open on weekends and the whole of August.
The village of West Lulworth has parking, gift shops, pub, cafes and ice cream outlets. Heritage Centre gives good information about the area and its geology.
Lulworth Cove Beach is dog friendly and allows dogs all year.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for West Lulworth in Dorset is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...