Calshot Beach (Hampshire)
Calshot beach is part of a shingle spit at the west corner of Southampton Water where it joins the Solent, the beach offers panoramic views of the Solent, Isle of Wight and Southampton.
This location has always been strategic and is the site of one of Henry VIII defensive forts, Calshot Castle (1539), built to defend the south coast from the French and Spanish.
The spit also has an extensive salt marsh which is of important wildlife interest.
Popular windsurfer and kitesurfer location where beginners can take advantage of the lagoon.
Facilities include car park, toilets with disabled facilities, cafes and Calshot Activities Centre.
The Calshot Activities Centre is located in the old Calshot Naval Air Station (later known as RNAS Calshot and RAF Calshot) and offers a range of activities with accommodation, activities include windsurfing, SUP, kitesurfing, sailing, snowboarding/skiing and climbing.
Calshot beach, dogs allowed but must be kept on a lead.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Southampton in Hampshire is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...