Lepe Beach (Hampshire)
Lepe beach is found in the Lepe Country Park on the shores of the Solent and part of the hamlet of Lepe which is itself part of the New Forest of Hampshire.
The beach is popular for swimming, fishing, windsurfing and kitesurfing. Windsurfers and kitesurfers have the lawn beside the cafe for rigging up, with a car park crossing point. When in the water beware, there can be strong tides.
Here we have a mile of beach backed by pine-fringed cliffs, historic D-Day remains and wild flower meadows. From the cliffs above the beach you can see right across the western Solent.
The beach is sand and shingle with good facilities and for those interested in fossils will find the interglacial deposit with elephant remains fascinating as well as the variety of rocks brought in for sea defences from ship wrecks like limestone, Purbeck Stone (one including a dinosaur footprint) and carboniferous limestone.
Facilities include parking, toilets, lifeguard, restaurant, cafe and shop.
Lepe beach, dog restrictions from April to September on part of the beach.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Southampton in Hampshire is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...