Lunderston Bay beach is the closest sandy beach to Glasgow making this very Read more [...]
Newark Castle Information
Newark Castle is a well-preserved castle on the south shore of the estuary of the River Clyde. This is a strategic location where the firth gradually narrows and for centuries this location has been used as a port.
Newark Castle was built in 1478 by George Maxwell with the original castle having a tower house within a walled enclosure. All that remains of the outer defensive wall is from one of the original corner towers. In 1597 Sir Patrick Maxwell, a powerful friend of King James VI of Scotland, expanded the building, constructing a new north range replacing the earlier hall in the form of a three storey Renaissance mansion.
The castle is open to the public and managed by Historic Scotland.
Newark Castle Reviews