Joss Bay Beach
Joss Bay beach in Broadstairs, Kent is a 200m sandy beach sheltered by large white chalk cliffs below the North Foreland Lighthouse and is just one of the Seven Broadstairs Bays, Joss Bay is known as the home of Kent surfing and one of the most popular South East England surf spots.
The beach is popular with families and not just surfers and due to being close to Broadstairs can get crowded. The flat rocks at the end of the beach can provide hours of exploration for the kids.
The bay was named after an 18th-century smuggler called Joss Snelling and is one of the seven bays in Broadstairs.
Activity wise, we have talked about surfing but kitesurfing is a struggle due to the cliffs behind the beach and the number of summer visitors.
Facilities at the beach include surf school and surf/kayak hire facilities, toilets, cafe/restaurant, shops, deck chair/ windbreak hire, car parking, lifeguards in summer months, disabled access, seasonal children play area.
Joss Bay Beach has been awarded a regional Seaside Award.
Joss Bay beach has dog restrictions between 1st May and 30th September where dogs are not allowed on the beach between 10am to 6pm.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Broadstairs in Kent is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Stay At …
Booking.com interactive map