Battery Point beach i Read more [...]
Place Category: Beaches
Hythe beach, is a large pebble beach backed by a concrete promenade. You have three stretches of beach:
- The main beach stretches from Twiss Road, along West Parade until you reach Fisherman’s Beach.
- Fisherman’s beach is a working beach where the boats are kept on the beach and you have a fish mongers cafe that sells local catch of the day. The fisherman were granted the right to maintain boats on the beach in the 15th century, a right confirmed by Elizabeth 1st when creating the Cinque Ports in return for providing crews for the “Men of War” that fought in the battle against the Spanish Armada.
- Foreshore beach is closed when the MOD Hythe firing range is active. When the range is not in use, the public may walk the foreshore path from Fisherman’s beach to the Redoubt at Tankerton Beach.
The beach has steps and some ramps from the promenade and although the pebble area at the top is wide you do have a steep slope down to the water and/or low tide part of the beach.
Hythe beach is zoned, with swimming and boat launch areas. Personal craft can be launched at the Smugglers Slipway, 450m to the East of Twiss Road, whilst motorized craft can be launched at the Battery Point Slipway, 2,200m East of Twiss Road.
Midway along West Parade you have the Hythe and Saltwood Sailing Club.
Parking on the road and a small pay and display car park. Cafe and restaurant on the concrete promenade backing onto the beach. Toilets have disabled facilities (open Easter to October).
Between St Leonards Road and Twiss Road, No dogs May to October.
Hythe Beach 7-day Weather Forecast
Light rain on Wednesday through next Monday, with temperatures rising to 20°C tomorrow.Overcast throughout the day.Today's Forecast
15->1718% 95% 9 mph
6:47 am 6:49 pmMostly cloudy in the morning.Tuesday, Sep 26th
15->202% 32% 7 mph
6:49 am 6:47 pmMostly cloudy throughout the day.Wednesday, Sep 27th
15->1912% 57% 9 mph
6:50 am 6:44 pmLight rain in the morning.Thursday, Sep 28th
14->1924% 82% 10 mph
6:52 am 6:42 pmLight rain overnight.Friday, Sep 29th
14->2021% 53% 9 mph
6:54 am 6:40 pmMostly cloudy throughout the day.Saturday, Sep 30th
14->1923% 69% 2 mph
6:55 am 6:37 pmRain starting in the afternoon.Sunday, Oct 1st
14->1845% 91% 16 mph
6:57 am 6:35 pmRain until evening.Monday, Oct 2nd
12->1775% 95% 14 mph
6:58 am 6:33 pm
Hythe Beach Tide Times
Hythe Beach Bathing Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
Photos from around the surrounding area