Hythe Beach (Kent)
Hythe beach, is a large pebble beach backed by a concrete promenade. You have three stretches of beach:
- The main beach stretches from Twiss Road, along West Parade until you reach Fisherman’s Beach.
- Fisherman’s beach is a working beach where the boats are kept on the beach and you have a fish mongers cafe that sells local catch of the day. The fisherman were granted the right to maintain boats on the beach in the 15th century, a right confirmed by Elizabeth 1st when creating the Cinque Ports in return for providing crews for the “Men of War” that fought in the battle against the Spanish Armada.
- Foreshore beach is closed when the MOD Hythe firing range is active. When the range is not in use, the public may walk the foreshore path from Fisherman’s beach to the Redoubt at Tankerton Beach.
The beach has steps and some ramps from the promenade and although the pebble area at the top is wide you do have a steep slope down to the water and/or low tide part of the beach.
Hythe beach is zoned, with swimming and boat launch areas. Personal craft can be launched at the Smugglers Slipway, 450m to the East of Twiss Road, whilst motorized craft can be launched at the Battery Point Slipway, 2,200m East of Twiss Road.
Midway along West Parade you have the Hythe and Saltwood Sailing Club.
Parking on the road and a small pay and display car park. Cafe and restaurant on the concrete promenade backing onto the beach. Toilets have disabled facilities (open Easter to October).
Hythe beach does not allow dogs between St Leonards Road and Twiss Road, during May to October.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Hythe in Kent is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...