Formby beach, a large area of beach with sand dunes and pine woods.
- A stunning stretch of unspoiled coastline managed by the National Trust
- Long sandy beaches and attractive pine woods
- Spot one of the rare red squirrels feeding on pine cones
- Search for 5,000-year-old red deer footprints on the beach
There is a public bridlepath at Lifeboat Road and access to the beach for horses is via this Lifeboat Road path only.
Lifeboat Road site: 1½ miles from the town centre; there are three linked unpaved car parks with several routes cascading out into the sand dunes and woods. The car parks are about 900 yards from the beach.
Victoria Road site: North of Lifeboat Road and is busier due to the red squirrel reserve being here. Parking is available adjacent to the reserve and at the end of the road there is a large unpaved car park for easier beach access, the beach from the car park is about 100 yards.
Public toilets are available at Victoria Road during car park opening hours but there are no toilet facilities at Lifeboat Road.
Formby Beach is dog friendly and allows dogs all year.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Southport in Merseyside is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...