Cayton Bay Beach
Cayton Bay beach is an unspoilt and quiet bay located 5km south of Scarborough and a similar distance north of Filey.
The bay is a wide, sandy beach backed by cliffs, and one of the best surfing locations in North Yorkshire. The centre of the bay has a reef that creates a flat lagoon which is perfect for kayaking, Stand-Up Paddle Boarding and windsurfing.
If you don’t want to sit still then why not explore the remains of WWII fortifications or why not search for some fossils. Some of the cliffs and rocks were formed in the upper Jurassic period.
Facilities include seasonal lifeguards, parking, toilets, cafe/restaurant, shops all located in the local village.
Cayton Bay Beach has been awarded a regional Seaside Award.
Cayton Bay Beach is dog friendly and allows dogs all year.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Scarborough in North Yorkshire is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...