Runswick Sands Beach (North Yorkshire)
Runswick Sands is a sheltered sandy beach with rock pools either side of the bay at Runswick, although you have no beach at high tide.
Runswick Bay is a great beachcombing location, you may find ammonites, dinosaur footprints, polished semi-precious stones, and shark eggs within many the Jurassic rocks and rock pools.
The beach is in front of a charming village built into the steep hillside which includes a sailing club as well as a number of pleasure and fishing boats.
The bay also has the Runswick Bay Rescue Boat (RBRB).
Facilities include pay and display car park, toilets, cafe, shop, pub and slipway. Note that it is a steep road down from the car park to the beach.
Runswick Sands Beach has been awarded a regional Seaside Award.
Runswick Sands Beach is dog friendly and allows dogs all year.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Whitby in North Yorkshire is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...