Whitby Sands Beach
Whitby Sands beach is a sandy beach with some rocks situated to the west of the town and the beach is also known as West Cliff Beach.
The River Esk splits through Whitby and a unique swing bridge connects the West and East sides of the town. On the east, you have a small sandy beach below the Abbey and this is protected by the outer harbour walls.
To the East, you’ve some specialist shopping, cafe, pubs and the Cook Museum. To reach the abbey the only way up is via the 199 steps (Caedmon’s Trod). The West of the town has Theatre, cinema, Whitby Sands beach, Whitby Museum, Lifeboat Museum, parks, a boating lake and mini golf and high on the cliff the Captain Cook Monument and Whitby whale bones.
You will not be short of facilities, include car parks, toilets, cafes/restaurants/pubs and beach huts.
Whitby Sands Beach is a Blue Flag Beach and has been awarded a regional Seaside Award.
Dogs not allowed at the South end of the beach.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Whitby in North Yorkshire is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...