Orkney Self Catering 4U (Orkney Islands)
Orkney Self Catering 4U offers modern accommodation in Kirkwall, the capital of Orkney. Free WiFi is provided throughout the property.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Mainland in Orkney Islands is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Earl’s Palace is a ruined palace close to St Magnus Cathedral in Kirkwall, Orkney. Described as a fine example of French Renaissance architecture in Scotland, the palace was built by Patrick Stewart, the 2nd Earl of Orkney, in the early 1600s after he decided that the Bishop’s Palace accommodation wasn’t adequate for his needs. The palace fell into ruin in the 18th century and visitors can still see much of the stonework, which gives a glimpse of its former splendour. Open from April to October.
- At the same time as St Magnus Cathedral was being constructed, the Bishop’s Palace was built nearby for William the Old, with a large rectangular hall above vaulted storerooms. The palace fell into ruins, but after 1540 was restored by Bishop Robert Reid who added a round tower, the “Moosie Toor”. He presided at St. Magnus from 1541 to 1558.
- St Magnus Cathedral is situated in the town of Kirkwall, the main town of the Orkney Islands. This magnificent cathedral, a fine example of Romanesque architecture, dominates the skyline of the town. Founded in 1137 by the Viking, Earl Rognvald, the cathedral was added to over the following 300 years and even has its own dungeon! It is known for being the most northerly cathedral in the British Isles and is a parish church of the Church of Scotland. Open all year round to the public.
- Mine Howe is a prehistoric subterranean man-made chamber dug 20 feet deep inside a large mound. It is not sure when it was built, some believe it to have been built roughly 2000 years ago during the Iron Age. Some researchers think that it could be as old as 5000 years, which would place it in the Neolithic period. There is some similarity to the well inside the Iron Age Broch of Gurness. The entrance is at the top of the small hill and there are indications of other Iron Age and earlier activity around the site. A flight of stone steps descend to a half-landing where they turn back on themselves and a further steps descend to a chamber. This chamber is only about 1.3 metres in diameter but is over four metres high with a corbelled roof. At the half-landing two subsidiary chambers/passages open out, one above the other.
- The Churchill Barriers are a series of four causeways in the Orkney Islands with a total length of 1.5 miles (2.3 km). They link the Orkney Mainland in the north to the island of South Ronaldsay via Burray and the two smaller islands of Lamb Holm and Glimps Holm. The barriers were built in the 1940s primarily as naval defences to protect the anchorage at Scapa Flow but now serve as road links between Kirkwall to Burwick.
- Dingieshowe Beach is a south facing sandy beach backed by sand dunes. The beach is located in the south eastern corner of mainland Orkney and is also known as Taracliff bay. You also have on the other side of the road Sandi Sand beach that looks out into the shallow bay of St Peter’s Pool.
- Maes Howe is a Neolithic chambered cairn and passage grave and is one of the largest on Orkney. The cairn gives its name to the Maeshowe type of chambered cairn, which is limited to Orkney. Maes Howe appears as a grassy mound near the south-east end of the Loch of Harray. The mound encasing the tomb is 115 feet (35 m) in diameter and rises to a height of 24 feet (7.3 m). Surrounding the mound is a ditch up to 45 feet (14 m) wide. The grass mound hides a complex of passages and chambers built of large carefully crafted slabs of flagstone. It is aligned so that the rear wall of its central chamber is illuminated on the winter solstice. Maes Howe is within the Heart of Neolithic Orkney UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Standing Stones of Stenness is a Neolithic monument located on a promontory at the south bank of the stream that joins the southern ends of the sea loch Loch of Stenness and the freshwater Loch of Harray. The site is thought to date from at least 3000 BC. The Ring of Brodgar and Maeshowe cairn is just over 1 km away suggesting that this area had particular importance. The stones were original elements of a stone circle of 12 stones, about 32 m (104 ft) diameter. The 5.6 m (18 ft) high Stenness Watch Stone stands outside the circle. The Standing Stones of Stenness is at the Heart of Neolithic Orkney UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- The Pier Arts Centre was established in 1979 to provide a home for an important collection of British fine art donated by the author, peace activist and philanthropist Margaret Gardiner. Alongside the permanent collection the Centre curates a year round programme of changing exhibitions and events. The arts centre is within original listed buildings and pier that characterise the historic town of Stromness once housed the office and stores of the Hudson’s Bay Company.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...