Dunraven Bay Beach
Dunraven Bay beach, also known as Southerndown Beach after the small village nearby, is a sand and pebble beach popular with families and watersports (windsurfing, surfing and kayaks). The beach here is a west facing beach on the Atlantic coast, off-shore winds from the East generate some good surf.
When the tide is out you have a great expanse of sand and there are many rock pools, a good place to look for fossils amongst the rocks.
You have a second beach to the South just over the headland that rarely has anyone on it, partly due to the steep steps down the cliffs. This second beach is one of the largest in Glamorgan but be careful as tide conditions can cut you off from the steps.
The headland is Witches Point, designated under SSSI for geological importance.
The beach due to it’s unspoilt scenery and remoteness has been used in films and TV series that include Doctor Who and Merlin.
Facilities include car parking, toilets and cafe and lifeguards in the summer.
Dunraven Bay Beach is a Blue Flag Beach and has been awarded a regional Seaside Award.
Dunraven Bay beach, No dogs allowed on the beach between 1 May and 30 September.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Southerndown in Vale of Glamorgan is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Stay At …
Booking.com interactive map