West Wittering Beach
West Wittering beach overlooks the Solent and Chichester Harbour and has the South Downs as a beautiful backdrop.
This is an excellent family destination with a sandy beach and large grassy area for parking and sunbathing. There are tidal pools which are ideal for children to explore and go crabbing in. Although it is mostly a sandy beach there are patches of shingle and some sand dunes.
Back in the 1950s this area of beach and grassland was purchased by locals to protect it from developers. At low tide the ocean runs out giving you about a quarter of a mile of sand backed by some amazing dunes and grassland.
This beach is popular with windsurfers and kite surfers, while shallow lagoons are left on extensive sandy flats at low tide. The whole area is internationally recognised for its wildlife, birds and unique beauty.
Facilities include toilets, cafe, restaurant, beach huts, deckchair hire, surfboard hire, pay parking and lifeguards in summer months.
West Wittering Beach is a Blue Flag Beach and has been awarded a regional Seaside Award.
West Wittering beach excludes dogs from the main swimming beach from May to September.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Chichester in West Sussex is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Stay At …
Booking.com interactive map