Sevenoaks Kent Coast Search Bar
Where would you like to go? Use our search bar to search across all our local listings, ideal for finding that nearest spot to visit:
Want some ideas on where to visit?
Every favourite location must be visited for the first time. Want some ideas, why not check out the below small selection of coastal locations, including beaches, activities, things to see and do, places to stay and eat:
- Knole is one of England’s most important, complete, yet fragile historic houses, set at the heart of Kent’s last remaining medieval deer park. One-time palace to archbishops and former royal property of the Tudor dynasty, Knole, was a place of extraordinary wealth and grandeur.Knole has collections in various state rooms, galleries and intriguing smaller spaces, Knole’s unrivalled collections of royal Stuart furniture, textiles, portraits and tapestries have gradually been worn by light, damp, pests and time. Nevertheless they retain a humble, faded glory, whilst pieces such as the rare silver furnishings of the King’s Room proudly attest to Knole’s more prosperous past.
- Chartwell House had been built upon at least as early as the 16th century, when the estate had been called ‘Well Street’. Henry VIII is reputed to have stayed in the house during his courtship of Anne Boleyn at nearby Hever Castle. The original farmhouse was significantly enlarged and modified during the 19th century. It became, according to the National Trust, an example of ‘Victorian architecture at its least attractive, a ponderous red-brick country mansion of tile-hung gables and poky oriel windows’. The estate derives its name from the well to the north of the house called ‘Chart Well’. The highest point of the estate is approximately 650 feet above sea level, and the house commands a spectacular view across the Weald of Kent. Sir Winston Churchill owned and restored Chartwell House. The house has been preserved as it would have looked when Churchill owned it. Rooms are carefully decorated with memorabilia and gifts, the original furniture and books, as well as honours and medals that Churchill received.
- Hever Castle began as a country house, built in the 13th century. From 1462 to 1539 it was the seat of the Boleyn, originally ‘Bullen’, family. Anne Boleyn, the second queen consort of King Henry VIII of England, spent her early youth there, after her father, Thomas Boleyn had inherited it in 1505. He had been born there in 1477, and the castle passed to him upon the death of his father, Sir William Boleyn. It later came into the possession of King Henry’s fourth wife, Anne of Cleves. Hever castle offers much to see, antique furniture, Anne Boleyn’s prayer books, instruments of torture, and a large collection of Tudor paintings. There is also a museum of the Kent Yeomanry. The remains of the original country house timbers can still be seen within the stone walls of the fortification, while the gatehouse is the only original part of the castle. The grounds of the castle include a famous yew maze, planted in 1904, and the castle gardens contain a wide range of features including an Italianate garden, rose gardens, a herb garden, and interesting topiary shapes.
- Squerryes Court is a late 17th century manor house that stands just outside the town of Westerham in Kent, is surrounded by 10 acres (around 4 hectares) of gardens and parkland. The building, which is in early Georgian style, houses a fine collection of Old Master paintings from the Italian, 17th Century Dutch and 18th Century English schools, together with furniture, porcelain and tapestries. All of which were acquired or commissioned by the family in the 18th century. Items connected with General James Wolfe victor of the battle of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham, and a friend of the Warde family, are also on display. The house is set on a terrace and has a pleasingly proportioned central block of seven bays under a hipped roof. It is constructed of mellow orange brick. The original building was built flanked by two small wings forming a forecourt, but these were demolished and replaced in the 19th century. The replacement wings were themselves torn down after the Second World War and only the main block now remains. The gardens, which can be visited along with the house, are beautiful all year round with spring bulbs, wild flowers, azaleas, summer flowering herbaceous borders and roses, together with woodland walks.
- Ightham Mote originally dates to around 1320, and successive owners have made relatively few changes to the main structure. In fact the last major work was the completion of the quadrangle with a new chapel in the 16th century. This medieval manor house is a great example that shows how such houses would have looked in the Middle Ages with the main focus being on looking inwards rather than outwards.
Some more locations in Kent
- Herne Bay
- Isle of Grain
- Isle Of Sheppey
- New Romney
- Royal Tunbridge Wells