Gwithian and Godrevy Beach
Gwithian / Godrevy beach is one of the best stretches of golden sand in Cornwall and is popular with both families and surfers. Located at the end of the long Hayle beach, within St Ives Bay, these two beaches are joined together at low tide. The area of sand dunes and grassland located behind the beach is owned by the National Trust.
The beach is also used for kite buggies, kite surfing, and windsurfers as there is a large expanse of sand at low tide.
Some good walks through the coastal grassland and heathland and you need to be careful of falling rocks by the cliffs.
Facilities at the beach include toilets, cafes, tea room, surfboard hire, seasonal lifeguard cover and first aid. There is also a free car park 10 minutes walk away if you prefer not to pay for the one at the beach.
The small Cornish village of Gwithian is about half a mile and has small shops, pub and cream teas.
Gwithian and Godrevy does not allow dogs from 1st May - 30th September between 8am and 7pm.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Penwith Peninsula in Cornwall is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...