Longships Lighthouse (Cornwall)
Longships lighthouse is situated on on Carn Bras, the highest islet in the Longships group, at the tip of Cornwall and guides vessels through the extreme storms around the cliffs of Lands End. The original tower was built in 1795 but very high seas obscured its light and the present granite tower was built between 1869 and1873 to replace it.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Penwith Peninsula in Cornwall is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- 10th May 2019-12th May 2019The festival runs for three days at Porthminster beach in St Ives. Activities include:fantastic demonstrations from nationally renowned celebrity chefs artisan traders with high quality food and drink music performances children’s play area water sports activities
- Land’s End is the most south westerly point of mainland Britain on the Penwith peninsula, a unique location with beautiful scenery. Land’s End has a particular resonance because it is often used to suggest distance. Land’s End to John o’ Groats in Scotland is a distance of 838 miles (1,349 km) by road and defines the length of races, walks or charitable events. Explore the location; stand on the First and Last Point and take in the spectacular views; visit the historic buildings of the First and Last House and Penwith House; or wander around the West Country Shopping Village. In addition to this you have family entertainment of our five fantastic attractions which include a 4D Film Experience. Any visit to Lands End would not be complete without a photograph at the famous Signpost.
- Sennen Cove lifeboat station was founded in 1853,. The station is situated just one mile northeast of Land’s End and is protected from the storms and force of the Atlantic Ocean by the high cliffs of Pedn-men-du. This area is some of the most challenging conditions to be found anywhere round the coast. The Sennen Cove lifeboat station is open daily with access to a viewing gallery overlooking the lifeboat, Also souvenir shop.
- Sennen Surfing Centre operates from the of Sennen Beach located beside the beach restaurant. Our fully qualified friendly and experienced team offer a variety of surfing courses for all abilities. We also offer discounts for large groups, families, schools, colleges and community projects. All equipment is included free of charge in each package.
- Sennen Cove is in the far west of Cornwall, tucked into the corner of Whitesand bay on the Penwith peninsula. In the summer walk the coast path and experience one of the best sea views possible. In the winter this can show how rough these waters can get. A major surfing location but it is also suitable for beginners. The spot is suitable for all levels of kiteboarding and windsurfing although beginners should not attempt it when the waves are big. Even at high tide, there is usually a sand bank in the top corner where the experienced can rig, launch and land in safety. Selection of parking at both ends of the esplanade and also the hill over the cove, lifeguards in the summer, cafe, toilets.
- Sennen Cove has become renowned for its surfing conditions and is highly regarded by local and non-local surfers alike. Sennen tends to be slightly more protected from winds and swell than Gwenvor at the other end of the bay. Sennen’s laid back and friendly atmosphere adds to the feel of Sennen Cove, making it a popular tourist destination for holiday makers and surfers alike. Sennen is good at most tides, bar extreme high tide, works best with a westerly swell and a light easterly wind. Surf gear can be hired at the beach, situated next to a large car park and beach cafe.
- Gwenver is secluded and rarely gets crowded. Ideal for visiting the beach and walking along the cliffs as you have excellent breathtaking views. At high tide, the beach slopes steeply into the sea and can be dangerous, at low tide Gwenver joins up with Sennen Beach. A superb surfing beach but tide rips can cause problems. There is a lifeguard service from Spring Bank Holiday to the end of September, daily 10 am to 6pm. Car parking above Gwenver in the season is charged (Main Park Gates close 8pm) and a 10-15 minute walk to the beach whilst out of season there is a small area which accommodates approximately 10 cars.
- Porthgwarra beach is a secluded small beach located within a small fishing village. Time your visit correctly as only a small beach available at low tide with an array of interesting rock pools and caves. One cave runs through part of the cliff; there is a rope to hang on to as it’s slippery. Facilities include parking in the village and the beach has toilets and shop.
- Cot Valley is another of West Cornwall`s beautiful sub-tropical valleys. Running west-northwest to the coast, and passing about one mile south of the town of St. Just. Cot Valley reaches the sea at the lovely Porth Nanven Cove, with the Brisons Rocks lying one mile offshore. The narrow road runs right to the Cove. Set out on a cliff-walk (the coastal footpath passes through the Cove) explore the two small beaches or undertake some bird watching. Parking space at the cove for approximately ten cars.
- The Telegraph Museum tells the story of how submarine cables from Porthcurno beach connected all corners of the world. The Telegraph Museum along with a large collection also includes the only complete working telegraph station left in the world. Visitors can explore:Eastern House, home to the World’s biggest telegraph station from the turn of the 20th Century. Grade II listed Cable House where the global network of cables came ashore. Secret World War Two tunnels, built to protect this critical communications hub from attack. The museum is open daily from Easter until the end of October and at various other times throughout the winter.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...