Hythe beach is a large pebble beach backed by a concrete promenade. You have three stretches of beach:
- The Main Beach stretches from Twiss Road, along West Parade until you reach Fisherman’s Beach.
- Fisherman’s beach is a working beach where the boats are kept on the beach and you have a fishmongers cafe that sells local catch of the day. The fisherman was granted the right to maintain boats on the beach in the 15th century, a right confirmed by Elizabeth 1st when creating the Cinque Ports in return for providing crews for the “Men of War” that fought in the battle against the Spanish Armada.
- Foreshore beach is closed when the MOD Hythe firing range is active. When the range is not in use, the public may walk the foreshore path from Fisherman’s beach to the Redoubt at Tankerton Beach.
The beach has steps and some ramps from the promenade and although the pebble area at the top is wide you do have a steep slope down to the water and/or low tide part of the beach.
Hythe beach is zoned, with swimming and boat launch areas. Personal craft can be launched at the Smugglers Slipway, 450m to the East of Twiss Road, whilst motorized craft can be launched at the Battery Point Slipway, 2km East of Twiss Road.
Midway along West Parade, you have the Hythe and Saltwood Sailing Club.
Parking is on the road or a small pay and display car park. Cafe and restaurant on the concrete promenade backing onto the beach. Toilets have disabled facilities (open from Easter to October).
Dog Friendly Beach?
Visit Hythe Beach
Hythe Beach Photos
Hythe Beach Water Quality
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
7 Day Weather Forecast
Expect a temp in the range 7.8℃ to 9.5℃ with wind speed 3.4 m/sec (NW)
Expect a temp in the range 6.7℃ to 7.6℃ with wind speed 3.7 m/sec (W)
Expect a temp in the range 2.1℃ to 3℃ with wind speed 5.4 m/sec (NNE)
Expect a temp in the range 1.5℃ to 3.7℃ with wind speed 4 m/sec (ENE)
Expect a temp in the range 0.9℃ to 1.5℃ with wind speed 2.9 m/sec (E)
Expect a temp in the range 1.5℃ to 2.8℃ with wind speed 4.1 m/sec (S)
Expect a temp in the range 3.8℃ to 4.5℃ with wind speed 3.6 m/sec (N)
Hythe weather forecast from Yr, delivered by the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and NRK
Hythe Beach Tide Times
Tide times are available at around 600 locations and the closest location to Hythe Beach is at Folkestone 8.04 km (5.00 miles) away. Tides are displayed beneath for up to 7 days and we list both high and low water times along with the height.
Low Tide at 05:07 (Height 1.54m)
High Tide at 10:24 (Height 6.34m)
Low Tide at 17:27 (Height 1.53m)
High Tide at 22:39 (Height 6.56m)
Low Tide at 05:48 (Height 1.34m)
High Tide at 10:56 (Height 6.48m)
Low Tide at 18:05 (Height 1.39m)
High Tide at 23:11 (Height 6.71m)
Low Tide at 06:24 (Height 1.22m)
High Tide at 11:25 (Height 6.57m)
Low Tide at 18:39 (Height 1.29m)
High Tide at 23:40 (Height 6.79m)
Low Tide at 06:59 (Height 1.14m)
High Tide at 11:53 (Height 6.60m)
Low Tide at 19:12 (Height 1.23m)
High Tide at 00:10 (Height 6.81m)
Low Tide at 07:33 (Height 1.09m)
High Tide at 12:21 (Height 6.61m)
Low Tide at 19:45 (Height 1.19m)
High Tide at 00:36 (Height 6.81m)
Low Tide at 08:06 (Height 1.07m)
High Tide at 12:47 (Height 6.61m)
Low Tide at 20:16 (Height 1.19m)
High Tide at 01:03 (Height 6.83m)
Low Tide at 08:38 (Height 1.10m)
High Tide at 13:14 (Height 6.64m)
Low Tide at 20:47 (Height 1.24m)
Contains ADMIRALTY® tidal data: © Crown Copyright and database right.
Where to stay ...
You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.