Hythe beach is a large pebble beach backed by a concrete promenade. You have three stretches of beach:
- The Main Beach stretches from Twiss Road, along West Parade until you reach Fisherman’s Beach.
- Fisherman’s beach is a working beach where the boats are kept on the beach and you have a fishmongers cafe that sells local catch of the day. The fisherman was granted the right to maintain boats on the beach in the 15th century, a right confirmed by Elizabeth 1st when creating the Cinque Ports in return for providing crews for the “Men of War” that fought in the battle against the Spanish Armada.
- Foreshore beach is closed when the MOD Hythe firing range is active. When the range is not in use, the public may walk the foreshore path from Fisherman’s beach to the Redoubt at Tankerton Beach.
The beach has steps and some ramps from the promenade and although the pebble area at the top is wide you do have a steep slope down to the water and/or low tide part of the beach.
Hythe beach is zoned, with swimming and boat launch areas. Personal craft can be launched at the Smugglers Slipway, 450m to the East of Twiss Road, whilst motorized craft can be launched at the Battery Point Slipway, 2km East of Twiss Road.
Midway along West Parade, you have the Hythe and Saltwood Sailing Club.
Parking is on the road or a small pay and display car park. Cafe and restaurant on the concrete promenade backing onto the beach. Toilets have disabled facilities (open from Easter to October).
Hythe beach does not allow dogs between St Leonards Road and Twiss Road, during May to October.
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
Hythe Beach 7 day weather forecast, weather in Hythe, Kent
Expect a temp in the range 8.3℃ to 9.7℃ with wind speed 6.1 m/sec (WSW)
Expect a temp in the range 8.7℃ to 9.7℃ with wind speed 6.3 m/sec (WSW)
Expect a temp in the range 2.5℃ to 4.8℃ with wind speed 4.2 m/sec (WNW)
Expect a temp in the range 5.4℃ to 7.7℃ with wind speed 9.2 m/sec (WSW)
Expect a temp in the range 3.6℃ to 5.7℃ with wind speed 5.2 m/sec (WNW)
Expect a temp in the range 6.6℃ to 7.9℃ with wind speed 6.7 m/sec (WNW)
Expect a temp in the range 6.5℃ to 7.4℃ with wind speed 3.1 m/sec (WSW)
Hythe weather forecast from Yr, delivered by the Norwegian Meteorological Institute and NRK
Hythe Beach tide times.
You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.