King Edwards Bay Beach (Tyne and Wear)
King Edwards Bay beach is a sheltered sandy beach backed by cliffs and grassy spaces ideal for families.
The beach sits under Tynemouth Priory and Tynemouth Castle.
The beach is also known as Tynemouth Short Sands after its longer “Long Sands” neighbour.
Facilities include car parking, toilets, shops, food outlets, lifeguards and zoned areas for watersports.
King Edwards Bay Beach is a Blue Flag Beach and has been awarded a regional Seaside Award.
King Edwards Bay beach has dog restrictions.
- Beach Water QualityWater samples are taken at regular intervals during the bathing season and at the end of the season the water quality is classified as:
- Excellent: the highest classification meaning the water is cleanest
- Good: generally good water quality
- Sufficient: meets minimum standards
- Poor: You are advised not to swim. The beach will stay open and an action plan should be in place to improve the water quality.
- 7 Day Weather Forecast
Our weather forecast for Tynemouth in Tyne and Wear is split into two widgets. The first shows a timeline containing temperature, wind, sunrise/sunset and chance of rain, whilst the second shows the forecast for the week ahead including severe weather alerts when available.
- You may also like ...
In this 'you may also like' section we attempt to answer what else can I do? Here you have a list by order of being the closest some more beaches, things to see and do, places to eat and upcoming events.
- Where can I stay ...
Booking.com interactive map
- What do others think ...