- Wade’s Bridge was built in 1733 to a design by William Adam and crosses the River Tay on the north west side of Aberfeldy. The bridge has 5 spans, 112m long and 4.5m wide, hump backed with a broad central arch with raised parapet and 4 obelisks. The bridge is one of over 40 bridges built in the Highlands between 1726 and 1735 as part of General Wade’s road construction. An inscription on the bridge reads “for securing a safe and easy communication between the highlands and the trading towns of the low country”.
- Halton Castle was the seat of the Barons of Halton from the 11th century until the 14th century and it then passed to the Duchy of Lancaster. In the 18th century, a new courthouse was built on the site of the previous gatehouse and today the castle lies in ruins apart from the courthouse which has been converted into a hotel and pub. The castle itself is opened for special events and tours several times a year, however, it is possible to walk around the castle walls at any time of the year.
- Glastonbury Abbey is a ruined monastery situated in the town of Glastonbury in Somerset. First founded in the 7th century and expanded in the 10th century, the Abbey was destroyed by fire in 1184 and subsequently rebuilt. It went onto become one of the richest and most powerful monasteries in medieval England. The last abbot, Richard Whiting, was executed as a traitor in 1539 following the dissolution of the monasteries during King Henry VIII’s reign. Today the Abbey ruins are open to the public and are a popular tourist attraction due, amongst other things, to the association Glastonbury has with the Arthurian legend. Medieval monks promoted the idea that Glastonbury was the setting for Avalon and that King Arthur and Queen Guinevere could be buried here. The Abbey and its grounds are open all year round.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.