All Places in Ayre
- Point of Ayre beach sits on the Isle of Man’s most northerly tip. The name comes from Old Norse “eyrr” that means a shingle beach and so this is is a large shingle and gravely beach. This remote beach provides a hopme to flowering heathland, nesting birds, diving gannets and the dramatic sea currents all combine to make the Point of Ayre a truly remarkable ever changing landscape. The seasonal Visitor Centre houses exhibits and displays portraying the diversity of the wildlife found at the Ayres and a short film illustrates some of the highlights of the surrounding area.
- Ramsey Queens pier was built in 1886 and is 2241 feet long. The pier is being restored in sections by the Queen’s Pier Restoration Trust that has a long fight to keep this Victorian pier from being demolished and to enable to be accessed by future generations, please check their website for current progress and to support them.
- The Point of Ayre Lighthouse is an active 19th-century lighthouse that was first lit in 1818, making it the oldest operational lighthouse on the island. The lighthouse is located at the Point of Ayre at the north-eastern end of the Isle of Man and was designed and built by Robert Stevenson, grandfather of prolific writer and novelist Robert Louis Stevenson. The point has shingle and gravel deposited by the strong currents, this changing landscape forced a smaller light commonly referred to as a ‘winkie’ had to be built 750 feet (230 m) to the seaward side of the main tower in 1899. This was then repositioned a further 250 feet (76 m) in the same direction and for the same reasons in 1950. The ‘winkie’ light was discontinued on 7 April 2010.