Find The Nearest Beach Essex
Planning a trip to Essex and looking for the nearest beaches. The Essex coastline is varied and the perfect family destination for days out, with the traditional bucket and spade pier resorts like Southend and Clacton that will keep everyone entertained to exploring the wildlife saltmarshes, tidal inlets, or one of Essex’s 35 islands.
Finding the right Essex beach is easy – simply explore the links below, hit the jump to my location button or use the search at the top of the page to plan your next Essex beach visit.
- Labworth beach is a sandy narrow beach backed by a seawall and some grass areas. The region between Thorney Bay and Labworth beach is designated as an approved windsurfing area. The seafront has a few small shops, cafes with the most significant being the 1930s Labworth café.
- Jubilee Beach is a busy beach as it is within Southend on Sea but located just away from the main attractions but still within walking distance of local amenities: Adventure Island, amusements, shops, plus a huge choice of cafes. Jubilee Beach is a favorite with families. Facilities include parking, toilets and food.
- Cudmore Grove beach is on the eastern end of Mersea Island within the Cudmore Grove Country Park. This is a sand and pebble beach backed by grassland and marshes and includes historic features such as WWII pillboxes and gun emplacements, remains of a 16th century blockhouse fort. Popular with walkers, fossil hunting, cyclists and horse riders. Pay and display car park, toilets, picnic and BBQ areas and nearby caravan parks.
- Frinton-on-Sea is a small quiet seaside town in Essex and is a world away from it is busier neighbours of Walton-on-the-Naze and Clacton-on-Sea. Frinton-on-Sea has a sandy beach with wooden groynes, more than a 1.5km (1 mile) long, with zoned areas for swimming, sailing and windsurfing. The beach is backed by a promenade and a large grass area. You have some interesting beach huts at the promenade level that at the beach are on stilts. Parking on the road, toilets, shops, one pub, beach huts and grassy areas.
- Shoebury East beach is approximately quarter of a mile long gently sloping sandy/shingle beach backed by a large grassy area perfect for picnics. Can get very crowded on hot summer days and bank holidays. East Beach is a popular beach for watersports, especially windsurfing and kitesurfing, due to its position on the estuary. The beach has a designated zone, but beware of tides, at low tide you may have more than 1 mile to walk out or back. Typically you are looking at about 90 minutes either side of high tide. The beach is next to a MOD firing range. Facilities include parking (some areas are seasonal), toilets, slipway, outside shower and beach zones help keep water users segregated.
- Three Shells beach is a sandy beach in the middle of Southend-on-Sea by the pier. Three Shells is a popular family beach as it is in the town and close to shops, cafes, restaurants, amusements and the pier. Facilities include parking, toilets, food outlets, amusements, sailing club with slipway.
- Thorpe Bay beach is a sand/pebble beach, groynes, tidal paddling pool and is backed by a promenade. The beach is part of the long Southend-on-Sea seafront and is popular with all watersports. Facilities include parking, toilets, cafes, restaurants and a promenade.
- Walton-on-the-Naze beach is a traditional large sandy beach with wooden groynes splitting it into sections. The beach sits either side of the second longest pier in Britain, with nearby Southend being the longest. This still has some of the charms of the original Victorian seaside town. The beach is also known as Albion Beach. Facilities include parking, pier and amusements, slipway, promenade, kiosks, shops, restaurants, cafes and pubs nearby, beach huts, seasonal lifeguards and RNLI Shop.
- Clacton West beach and Martello Bay beaches are adjacent to each other with gentle shelving sand backed by a promenade and seafront gardens. Facilitiesinclude car parking, toilets, shops, cafe, restaurants, pubs, promenade, amusements, deckchair hire, child safety wristband scheme.